Guest Post by Karl Lacroix
1. Liu was the only athlete in the history of sports with 1.3 BILLION coaches. Everybody in China knew what Liu should do, but only he knew what he COULD do.
2. Liu was and will forever be a ‘one hit’ athletic wonder. A lot of athletes are like that. He should have walked away after the world record was set. Chinese people were shocked that he, an Asian, had beaten the clock in basically a Western competition. The shock was right. He will never do it again.
3. The Chinese forgot that he was a hero of the last Olympics, not the 2008 Olympics. Hero status today is something each athlete MUST earn and you are nothing till you do. Who remembers who won what in 1996 or 2000? The voracious appetite for heroes prevalent throughout the world is damn near a fever pitch in China. Does anyone in China care who the No.2 Chinese 110m hurdles runner is? Nobody in the rest of the world does either, Eat ‘em up and spit ‘em out. (Shi Dongpeng by the way).
4. Liu failed because he spent too much time chasing kangaroos in TV commercials in China. Hell, even Aussie runners don’t chase kangaroos.
5. Liu had too much money to carry on his back each time he ran a race...bundles of it strapped on his back. And the biggest currency note in China is only worth 100 rmb. He was in effect a race horse with a huge handicap under his saddle. Alas now he will only be able to spend it. (Crocodile tears all around...).
6. No sex! Liu had bad skin, obviously meaning he was not getting laid. Sex relaxes the muscles. He looked so tight the night he walked away, like he had a terminal case of blue balls. (Now I can hear my Chinese readers saying ‘Blue balls?’- - never mind).
7. Too much sex! Liu was a pretty boy. Maybe he had too many girls sapping his strength. On the other hand maybe he had too many gay lovers slapping him silly.
8. Liu knew the Cuban was going to win. Athletes in any TOP sport know if they will get beaten or not. The great ones find another way to win, usually with heart. Being not so great....Liu took the shower (read ‘easy’) road.
9. The Communist government told him to quit. Why? Well, right now, can you name any Chinese superstar (with a moniker as recognizable as Liu Xiang) who has won gold at this Olympics in a heroic way? Nope. So the government views the gold medal count as a victory for communism.....individuals not wanted. The leaders of China know that the record book will show that the 2008 medal haul by China will be forever recorded as the biggest win by a ‘political system’. Hey they beat the Nazi’s totals of 1936. Sick!
10. The sad thing is I think Liu knew he was not able to run that night but because Chinese people have conspiracy theories worse than Americans, he HAD to come out, show himself and then bust up his foot for the ‘fans’ just so they ‘knew’ he really tried. Athletes at that level of fine tuned skill, know when they are not right.......they KNOW. So out he came, said ‘Watch me citizens of China’, and then zapped his foot.
And that, for me is the most heroic thing that has happened in sports in a long time. Damn stupid, but heroic nonetheless. I predict after suitable medical consideration Liu Xiang will retire.